Monday, August 9, 2010

Things you learn on Youtube

It's been a long while since I last posted anything and there is a reason. Been busy. Suck on that nosy.
But no, I have been working hard on my novel and counting down the month until I can start reworking my second, nothing to do with the first, novel.

Got down for a while there about whether or not anyone would want to read the dribble I turned into a book but talking with some graciously wonderful, would have quit ages ago without them, authors. They say this is normal. And rather than offering a pill to kill my inner a*hole voice that is SUCH a downer, they say the only thing you can do is have faith in yourself. Get some feedback, that will most likely (unless you really do suck) reinforce the other voices in your head.

I say "voices" because, and it might just be because I'm a freak but, I have more than one that likes to be heard when I'm writing, editing, or just milling over what to do next. I only have the one nasty little jerk voice who tells me i suck and no one wants to read my crap. Which, could be very true as far as the publishing world is concerned. There is no guarantee you have worked so long and hard over the next New York Times Bestseller. BUT how will you ever know if you give up? That is another voice of mine. I like that one. :)

So I have been busy busy busy with my 5th edit which will be it before I hand it over to another author friend and my DUN DUN DUUUUUUN mother.

Mom is and has always been my toughest critic. I used to not ask her for any input b/c i didn't want to hear where i had gone wrong or what could make it better but that was with my drawings. And, to me, that is a different kind of talent all together. And not one i want to hear criticism on at all. Which is why I am not, never will be, and never want to be a professional artist. I do that for fun, stress relief, etc. Not to be judged.

BUT as far as writing is concerned, how can i ever get my novel passed an agent if my mom can't even get through it? So she is the next in line to hammer it out.

And I am a firm believer in polishing the CRAP out of my first novel before I query ANYONE (as hard as it is to not...)

I won't get another first impression on the industry. This novel will be the first novel of mine an agent, editor, publisher, and then the public will (fingers crossed) ever see with my name on it. I don't want it to be OKAY or worse, HORRIBLE. Who would ever read anything of mine again if my break out novel was either one? I sure don't waste my $$$ on OKAY writers. (haha...yea right) but you know what I mean.
Don't you want your first thing out with your name on it to be the best it possibly can?

dang I hate when I publish this thing while I'm in mid thought. My pinky is ENTER happy today.

So long absence and post to say I love youtube.com LOVE LOVE LOVE. You can learn ANYTHING on youtube. Today, on my lunch break, I'm going to watch last nights Trueblood (love that too) and attempt to trim my own hair thanks to youtube. Here's hoping i don't eff it up!

Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something! I reply via email only.